RE: Khan's Trunk Stuff

> SPEAKING OF RELEVANT:
>
> Does anyone else seem to have a problem with their trunk? I often
> have to slam my trunk quite hard to get it to shut. I read a TSB
> dated Mar. 23 (don't know the year) that talked about trunk screws.
> Beuller?
>
> -Khan

Khan,
I have the same problem in my 95 GLX. I also work for a company that builds
gas springs for the auto market. The Jetta uses a Stabilus spring in a
counterbalance. The springs have about 150 pounds force each, but are
a "groove tube" design. This allows the trunnk lid to stay at whatever
position
you leave it at, it will not slam down on its own, even as the springs begin
lose pressure. I tested the springs on my car after having the same trouble
as you, having to push harder to close the trunk. My springs were down to
about 600 Newtons from the factory 700N. Thats about 25 pounds force. It
seems that as the spring loses pressure, its takes more effort on your part
to both lower it andd lift it. This may be a design functionality of the
groove tube, as the spring loses pressure, the groove tube friction may
actually add to the amount of force you need to open and close...

The replacement springs are German Stabilus and run $50-75 each at the
dealer, if you buy aftermarket, the spprings will not be groove tube and
will just lift the trunk, but not allow it to lock and stay at any height.
Stabilus has patented the groove tube, so none of the aftermarket suppliers
(including my company) currently uses this design.

To make a long story short, replace the springs...  ;)

Hope this helps everyone...  ;)
-Cab
95 Jetta GLX