Re: Political Correctness

At 3:05 PM -0500 7/27/99, Benjamin W. Stein wrote:
>It's not all about the jettas, as much time as people spend on this
>list whining about the way people drive it is plainly not just about
>the jettas.  It seems as though it is also supposed to be about
>being a civil human being, but perhaps this is just the hope of a
>few members of this list.  I for one like to think that my fellow
>Jetta drivers are responsible members of society, perhaps today I
>have seen otherwise.  To say that calling somebody a riceboy is not
>insulting a culture, rather it is insulting a car, is as close to
>pure bullshit as I have read in a long time.  Does a Honda have
>anything to do with rice, not really, but the people who own the
>company do happen to be Japanese, and yes the Japanese are
>associated with rice.  Oh wait, now we are back to insulting
>cultures and ethniciities.  Is Eric a racist?  I haven't the
>slightest idea, I don't know Eric.  Does Eric make himself appear to
>be a racist from his posts?  He is doing a pretty good job so far...
>
>Ben

Ben, I have to disagree. Sure, the origin of the word "rice" in rice
boy can be traced back to the rice fields of Asia. But how is that
offensive? It is a fact that Southeast asia produces a lot of rice,
and perhaps that is the origin of the term.

I happen to agree with the statement at
<http://www.riceboypage.com/faq/#racist>.

And while I consider myself a civil human being, and a pretty decent
civil human being, I'm not going to sit back and let you "goodie two
shoes" people lump everyone and anyone who makes a "rice boy" comment
into the racist category.

In fact, I believe that people so quick to prejudge someone are
making the very same logical blunder that racists do. They pick out a
particular theme about a particular person, and make a jump of logic
that indicates that that person is more or less than what they are.

I do not drive a VW because of "Aryan Pride" I drive it because of
"VW Pride". Yet if I were to put in an aftermarket stereo into my
German-made car, I would NOT put in a Kraco or a Radio Shack head
unit. I'd most likely put in a Sony head unit. Now I don't call a
Sony head unit a "ricestereo" because I am not trying to criticize
Sony products, EVEN THOUGH ITS OWNED BY JAPANESE PEOPLE.

It's not about criticising Japanese people, for whom I have a great
deal of respect. It's about criticising those people that drive cars
that they try to make look all cool and stuff by applying stickers
and badges. They could drive a chevy, a neon, even a computer, and
I'd call it "rice".

Take a look at these pictures, and YOU TELL ME if you don't think it
deserves ridicule.

<http://www.riceboypage.com/shame/hall_of_shame_9/400SS_side.jpg>
<http://www.riceboypage.com/shame/hall_of_shame_5/pink-neon.jpg>
<http://www.riceboypage.com/shame/hall_of_shame_6/computer.jpg>

I happen to use the term "rice" to ridicule these pathetic excuses
for cars/computers.

-Khan