Re: (comments re:Need help - Springs)

At 11:06 PM -0700 7/26/99, Voltaire Almendrala wrote:
>"jap."??? Golly, I thought comments like these were something one kept to
>themselves instead of throwing it out on a mailing list. If you're just
>relaying info, I would question the validity of your source.

Let me illustrate why this is problematic on both sides:

1. jap. can also be used as an abbreviation for "Japanese".

2. jap is also a derogatory term for people of Japanese descent.

The word "niggardly" may appear to be racist, but it in fact a word
that describes avarice.

To determine whether something is racist or racially offensive, the
CONTEXT of the message must be determined. Just like I don't think
Ian was trying to be racially insensitive by using the abbreviation
"jap.", I don't think he may have realized the racial significance of
the slang term "jap".

For the record, I am of Asian descent, and neither was I offended by
Ian's message, nor did I interpret his message as racially insensitve.

Rice-burners (Japanese cars) and Rice boys (any person of any racial
descent that drive such Rice-burners) equally invoke my wrath (WRATH
OF KHAN!) and thus are subject to my ridicule. Especially the ones
that have the really big spoilers that make the rice-burner look like
a shopping cart.

-Khan