Re: thoughts on selling

****I have a '97 GLX with 23,000 miles and I thought I might be able to help.

>1. Fixed front passenger side window switch, since the one on the door
>stopped working (not a big deal)

***I've had no problems with my windows.  Other than a faint line on the
inside of the drivers window.  It comes off with Windex, no problem.

****I've never had this problem.

>4. Something with the clutch now rattles, since being replaced, at
>idle. It stops once I press the clutch. Varies in noise level and
>sometimes doesn't happen at all. I am told to monitor it because they
>don't want to take anything out because they won't know what it is. I
>was told this after telling them I would need a loaner since they
>would be keeping it. They decided to give me back my car with the
>problem.

****No problems with the clutch (except that it doesn't seem linear, unlike
my Honda CRX and Mazda RX-7.  The clutch just doesn't feel as precise)

>5. When starting car starts and Rpm's rise to 1400 then drop to 600,
>starts to stall and Rpms shoot back up to 1200 then drops to 800. All
>of this without me touching the gas. Lasted about a month and then
>stopped. Could not get in to shop because getting a loaner feels like
>pulling teeth.

***I've had this problem.  My dealer writes it off as the "high performance
V6" is a little finicky until it's warmed up.  This is a very minor problem
for me, and it always goes away after I start driving it down the road.
Also, if I use a 20oz bottle of Techtron (fuel injector cleaner) and take
it on the highway for a couple hours (so the engine gets good and hot) the
start up/idle problem goes away for a while.  I've just wrote it off as a
minor annoyance.

>6. Driver window is now dead.
>7.Clutch starting to feel rough, and accelerating feels sluggish.
>8. Opened hood to jump start someone and there is radiator fluid caked
>around the T-joint connecting the hoses.

***No problems with the radiator either.

>9. went to remove my rear driver side headrest to lower seat and
>headrest does not come out.

***The rear head rests are hard to operate for me too.  Remember to push in
on the button at the base of the black head rest guides.  But sometimes
it's still hard to lift up.  One of the black guides even pulled out on me
once, but it clicked right back in.

>I know I am leaving some stuff out I just don't remember what. Am I
>just picky? Am I just spoiled because my 1995 Honda Civic Lx never had
>a single problem? I had less problems with a 79 diesel Mercedes with
>over 150,000 miles that had been sitting for two years. I am coming up
>on my warranty and I am looking for input. I don't need a car that is
>going to keep causing me problems, but I like the car.  If suggestions
>are to get rid of what should I expect to be able to get?
>Thanks
>Barrett

*****There is no question that Volkswagon doesn't build as reliable a car
as Honda or Toyota.  But I drove a lot of Honda's/Toyota's/Mazda's/etc....
and didn't find one as fun to drive as my Jetta GLX.  It's fast and has
great turn-in feel/handling like a sports car.   But it's also very
practical with a huge trunk and 4 doors.  Plus the air conditioner smokes
the Honda's and Toyotas (important around here where it 90-100 degrees in
the summer).

It really comes down to what you want in a car.  If you want a sports car
but need the practicallity of a 4-door, keep the Jetta (or look into the
Lemon Law idea).  But if you really don't push a car to it's limits much,
I'd buy a Honda Civic/Accord/Prelude.  It was a tough decision for me but I
love smoking my friends Turbo RX-7/ Integra/ and older rotary RX-2, with a
4-door sedan.

The ultimate for me would be a BMW M3, but I just can't justify it right

Hope this helped!

Mitch Lewis (34 years old)
'97 Jetta GLX white (stock for now)

email: mitchman@owt.com