Re: Cutting a deal with the dealer

Murray:

   Sorry to hear about the bugs in your new baby. Being just out of the
2/24,000 means that you've not had the car long, and I know how it is to
have your new toy crapping up. My sympathies.

   Sounds to me like the dealer is basically a decent place, in light of
the "deal" that they cut you. I don't think that they'll have a problem
with covering the work if you point out self-confidently enough that the
fact that the warning light itself was defective caused the whole problem
to begin with, and that the light must have been defective from the
start, which ought to thus be covered under the warranty (twisted logic,
I know, but anything will sound reasonable if presented in the proper
manner). Give it a try before you shell out the cash.

   If they don't bite, you've got one more fall-back plan to take
advantage of before threatening a small claims suit. VWoA Customer
Service. I don't have the number handy, but it's readily available. Do
this:

   Before you pay and pick up the car (or afterwards, if it's
unavoidable), call these folks. Tell them the whole situation, give them
the dealer's name, act very upset and more than a little annoyed. Speak
in a strong, self-assured voice. Remember that you are in charge, you are
the guy who's paying their paycheques, and that you, the customer, are
always correct. These folks are there to keep the Volkswagon name a
friendly one, and they'll want to keep you as a loyal customer. They
won't kiss your arse, but I'm sure that they'll be willing to converse
with the dealer and strike a mutually-agreeable bargain. If that doesn't
come to pass, well, then you can threaten with small claims courts. But,
if VWAG wants to keep any kind of customer loyalty, they ought to gladly
smile, nod, and suck up the cost.

   Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!
-T
'95GLX
'84GLi

Zip-zap ... zip-zap ... it's Tom ... Tom Boyer ... cyng@lamere.net!