Re: New member

Not true. The best (and only, for VWs) reason to depress the clutch when
starting the car is in case it's in gear. With a standard, it is best to
leave the car in gear (1st if you're facing uphill, reverse when facing
downhill, first otherwise) when you park it, in addition to having the
e-brake on. Extra safety. Some people just it in gear and don't use the
e-brake (but I promise you that this is a bad thing. It is possible to
push a car even if it's in gear. It's damned difficult, but it can
happen), some people just use the e-brake (e-brake cables stretch,
e-brakes wear out. I had a Grand Am (Canned Ham) whose e-brake didn't
hold the car on a incline greater than 10 degrees), but it's just dumb
not to use both. Do you like your car? Do you want to keep it? Then use
both. It's worthwhile. Getting back to the point of this email, for those
of us who leave our babies in gear when we park them, it's best to
depress the clutch when starting. Otherwise, it stalls immediately, which
is not only jarring for you but is also hell on the motor mounts and the
gearbox.
-T
'95GLX
'84GLi