RE: Installing larger rims/tires...

Huh?
Since Diameter times Pi is Circumference, you will get the same percentage
error whether you work with diameter OR circumference...

Remember:
%Error = (Stock Diameter-New Diameter)/Stock Diameter x 100

Note that postive numbers mean that the speedo read this percentage higher
than actual, where a negative percentage means the speedo will read this
percentage lower than actual.

For circumference since everythin is times Pi, the Pi divides out as 1. no
difference, just easier to do on diameter...

Example: Stock Jetta GLX

Tire Size: 205/50-15
Diameter (in inches) = 23.071"

Plus One : 205/45-16
Diameter = 23.264

Error = (23.071-23.264)/23.071 x100 = -0.84%

A plus one tire will result in your speedo reading 99mph when you are doing
100mph.

There is one additional sticky factor...
Now that the speedos are electronic there is a signal response curve
associated with the speedo. At extremely low and extremely high speeds,
there will be a variance in the speedo. So far it looks like the speedo
reads slightly higher than actual road speed. When I am doing 60mph (by
speedo) I am actually doing about 57 mph road speed (by time and mile
markers).

I think this error increases to as much as 10mph at top speed...

Hope this helps all..
-Cab