VWPAN97 adapter power?

While we are on the subjects of CD-Changers, I have a
question for the folks who installed the Panasonic 6 disc
CD changer for the BOSE system.
When you bought the VWPAN97 adapter, did you get
instructions on what to hook the "red" wire too?
I had no idea what power source to use when I received
my changer and adapter.  I was hoping I could have just
plugged-and-played my CD Changer since I thought
that was what the adapter was for.

Either way, I ended up running a wire up to the fuse box
and connecting it to the Accessory fuse.  Works like a
charm, except I don't know if it was completely necessary.

What did everyone else do?

-Chuck Simpson
'98 White Jetta GLX-VR6