Re: noises

Okay...

I had a similar problem with my '98 GLX a few weeks ago.  I began noticing
this really annoying rattle during hard accelerations, especially during the
cold mornings.  It seemed to stop when the car warmed up after a while.
It wasn't really a rattle, it was worse.  It had me really worried.

I decided to prop the car up and take a look underneath.  I found the problem
to be the muffler.  There is an "L"-shaped hook on both sides of the muffler
on the front and rear sides.  One of the "L"-shaped hooks somehow pulled
out of the rubber muffler mount.  I just had to push the muffler up enough to
insert the hook back into the muffler mount... and *voila*, NO MORE RATTLE!!!

Make sure you check these mounts... it can be easy to miss.

-Chuck Simpson
'98 White Jetta GLX-VR6