From: Willie Anderson [mailto:willie.anderson@analog.com]
Sent: Monday, February 15, 1999 11:49 AM
To: jettaglx@igtc.com
Subject: New GLX Owner: questions/comments

I closed the deal on my lightly used 1998 Jetta GLX this morning:
Porcelain Blue over taupe leather, 3800 miles, an absolute joy. I
was worried about headroom (I'm 6'6", or 2 meters for you metric
folk) but I've been able to find a very comfortable driving
position, so all of my concern was misplaced.  Heck, after driving
this car, I'd go to my orthopod and have him shave down a vertebra
rather than give up my ride!  Did I mention that I'm in love?

Anyway, some questions:

1) I need to "rekey" a keyless remote transmitter, and I read in
this list's archives that there is a method to "teach" the
anti-theft receiver up to 4 frequencies of remote, using a switch
near the fuse box.  Robert Bentley has not yet published for the
1998 GLX, so the procedure to do this is evidently unknown to the
general public.  Anybody on this list know the procedure, or do I
have to go to the local dealer?

2) What is normal operating oil temperature for this car?  I'm
seeing 208-220 deg. F.  The water temp gauge reads straight up
(which I assume is 190 deg. F).

3) This is a Texas car (originally sold in Richardson TX) and
although it has the leather interior, it evidently does not have
heated seats.  This is strictly an academic issue, as heated seats
are not needed in this locale, but I thought that ALL leather GLX's
had heated seats.  Not true?

One more thing: this list is a great resource and a major reason
that I considered getting a GLX.  I'm mighty glad you all are "out
there".

Best regards,
--
Willie Anderson