RE: New GLX Owner: questions/comments

>I closed the deal on my lightly used 1998 Jetta GLX this morning:
>Porcelain Blue over taupe leather, 3800 miles, an absolute joy. I
>was worried about headroom (I'm 6'6", or 2 meters for you metric
>folk) but I've been able to find a very comfortable driving
>position, so all of my concern was misplaced.  Heck, after driving
>this car, I'd go to my orthopod and have him shave down a vertebra
>rather than give up my ride!  Did I mention that I'm in love?

Yeah, you'll stay in love for a long time too... ;)

I'll answer the one I know...

>2) What is normal operating oil temperature for this car?  I'm
>seeing 208-220 deg. F.  The water temp gauge reads straight up
>(which I assume is 190 deg. F).

Yeah, 216-218 on our 95. I've seen as high as 226 in summer and as high as
236 during "spirited" (over 100mph for about 15 minutes) driving.
Nothing that Mobil One can't handle.

>3) This is a Texas car (originally sold in Richardson TX) and
>although it has the leather interior, it evidently does not have
>heated seats.  This is strictly an academic issue, as heated seats
>are not needed in this locale, but I thought that ALL leather GLX's
>had heated seats.  Not true?

Nope, I believe it was a convenience package along with heated mirrors on
the
later cars. The heater units might be there, just without the switch and
circuitry to energize them.

Enjoy your new ride! Learn to love the redline. Smoke tires in third.
After I bought our GLX I knew I would never be happy with something more
"thrifty" or "economical".

-Cab
95 J3 GLX