Re: questions regarding a few performance mods

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Richard Brandow wrote:

> Hi all I am not on the list so if you respond to me please reply to my
> e-mail vw-j@webtv.net
>   I am wanting to add a chip to my 98 GLX.  I have it narrowed down to
> P-chip or Q-chip, my question is.  Will this void my warranty in adding
> one of these chips?  Can I get away with swapping the chip everytime I
> go to the dealer?

Have you considered the Garrett chip? I have yet to chip my GLX, but I
have heard only good things about Garrett's chip and his customer
service. AFAIK, putting in a chip will cause you warranty hassles if the
dealer thinks they can pin some trouble on the chip. You could swap each
time, but it's a pain. The Garrett chip, at least, claims to be invisible
to the VAG tool, so the dealer would have to pop open the ODBII unit to
physically look at the chip to tell. Check out http://www.giacusa.com.

>  I also have thoughts of suspension mods and a cool exhaust system.  If
> anyone could give me some names of good sytems I would really appriciate
> it!  Oh and as far as shocks and springs go!  I know I will have to give
> up some of that smooth ride the GLX has, in order to get the performance
> I want,  but is there a happy medium?
>   Thank you very much for any and all responces!
>   Jeremy Brandow  98 red GLX black leather

I've got Bilstein shocks and the Neuspeed Sport springs. I'm very happy
with it. Lowered (not slammed) the car a bit, and has made it behave much
better under agressive cornering/braking. It's firmer than the stock
setup, but not bad.

Peter Loron                                                  peterl@cnw.com
Before the invention of eruptions, lava had to be carried down the mountain
by hand and thrown on the sleeping villagers. This took a lot of time.