From: Greg Coe [mailto:gcoe4733@postoffice.uri.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 01, 1999 3:23 PM
To: GTI List
Cc: Jetta List; VW Drivers List
Subject: pre-LI cruise cop encounter

Ever since Chris posted the cruise highlights, I've received tons of mail
asking what happened.  First off all, I want to thank Chris for his
hospitality and for putting together a great weekend!

Now onto the story.  I was on I95 in New York Saturday night heading to
Chris's house.  There is a section of the highway where there is a huge
underpass about 1/4 mile long.  I just couldn't resist listening to my VR6
totally uncorked under the overpass.  I lowered the windows and jumped on
the throttle hard.  As I was enjoying the sweet techtonics music, I noticed
a Z28 camaro, windows tinted black, pacing me.  I looked at the speedo and
noticed 120 mph coming up fast.  The passenger window of the camaro went
down, the driver glanced over, then rolled up his window and dropped behind
me.  I slowed to a "reasonable" speed and about 1/4 mile later I see strobe
lights blasting inside the Z28.  Oh shit- jail time for sure.  I was shaking
like crazy as I pulled over.  The cop just asked me for all the usual
bullshit (license, etc.), and returned to his car.  He came back 10 minutes
later and gave me my stuff.  Then he says "You were having fun back there,
huh?"  I nervously replied "Well, ummm.......yes."  The cop just smiled and
said, "Why don't you try NOT having so much fun for a while; have a nice
night son."  That was it- I was speechless, and proceeded the rest of the
way to LI at a cautious 65 mph.  I still can't believe what actually
happened!

Later,
Greg