sluggish V6/ gas guzzling

I trembled with excitement the first time I really tried to push my V6 and see
what he could do.  I have to say I was dissapointed.  My A2 Jetta GLI
accelerates faster.  I realize the V6 probably has a lot heavier car to pull,
but I was expecting more. Are there any relatively inexpensive mods I can make
to increase horsepower/ acceleration/ performance?  I'm already using the
highest octane gas. Which reminds me, He is guzzling gas like it's going out
of style. Is it just the V6 or are there problems I should be looking for?

He--because I'm a girl ;-)

Angie Y.
'95 Red GLX 5 speed.