Re: cat

FWIW, Every single gallon that my car has consumed since 48 miles is
92 octane (or better) Texaco Super Unleaded. Before then, I think the
dealership used 89 octane on the test drives that got it up to 48
miles.

My car only gives off a putrid smell when I drive it really hard for
more than five minutes.

-Khan

At 11:31 AM -0600 12/22/99, Matt Zajac wrote:
>Thank you John
>I tried Amoco (still produces the smell desvribed earlier), Shell
>(does the same maybe not as much but still unaccteptable)
>Mobil(...@#F&%F&#$%$.......). What's the address for VR6 list?
>
>Thanks a lot

>You don't say if you tried changing fuels. If you did, did it make any
>difference at all?
>
>My car does not like Mobil fuel. It gives off a weird smell (no I won't try
>to describe it). Switching to Schell or Amoco works fine.
>
>I would think that removing the cat would trip the second O2 sensor for sure
>and would probably cause performance problems as the computer would try to
>compensate.
>
>The Service Advisor's comments about "slow burning fuel" only suggests to me
>the sad state of education in todays schools...
>
>You might try posing this smell question to the VR6 list.
>
>--
>John Darwak
>'97 GLX Sequoia/Biber Beige

> >Date: Mon, Dec 20, 1999, 8:53 PM
> >

> > Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:04:54 -0600
> > From: Matt Zajac <MTZajac@beloit.com>
> > Subject: Cat
> >
> > Did anybody have problem with a strong smell from catalytic converter in
> > their Jetta GLX? I have '98 Jetta GLX and after I drive little hard it
> > always smells like old elephants' crap. VW issued a TB on this, but they
> > say to change brand of fuel... VW service advisor told me that stock VR6
> > should not use the highest octane fuel (he raftered to it as a "slow
> > burning fuel" ?????) and advised to change to 89 octane, well my jetta
> > isn't stock anymore and 89 oct fuel would cause engine to knock due to
> > changes in my ignition curve. I'm thinking of removing Cat and putting a
> > straight pipe in its place, I noticed two O2 sensors, one before and one
> > after cat, now I wonder if putting a straight pipe would cause MIL to go
> > off. Can you guys and gals give me your thoughts on this? Any info or
> > comment is greatly appreciated...
> > Sincerely
> >
> > Matt Z.
>

>!
>

>!

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax