FW: [VW-VR6] Colorado drive.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Frechette [mailto:frechett@rintintin.colorado.edu]
Sent: December 18, 1999 8:02 PM
To: gti-vr6@ccsi.com; VW-VR6@onelist.com
Subject: [VW-VR6] Colorado drive.

From: Ian Frechette <frechett@rintintin.colorado.edu>

We had a good drive today, and a nice stop at Lee Jacob's fantastic new
mansion on the mountain.  We tend toward the smaller gatherings, but we
sure don't screw around when it comes to driving on twisty roads.
One advantage to La Nina is that the roads in the mountains are pretty dry
even the middle of December, and because it's the middle of
winter there aren't a lot of cars, cops or forest rangers (cops in
green trucks).  We made very good time.  Only downside, Brian and I were
forced to explore the limits of adhesion on our P210A snow tires, which
do remarkably well.  Trish has also decided that the stock tires on the
Mk4 are at least as bad as the GAs.

I also had a nice demonstration of why a blower kicks butt at altitude.
Blasting up a long uphill stretch at 100+mph in 4th I got smoked
by the G60 in 5th.  Word is, he's slower than an SLC
at sea level, dead even at 4000 ft and kicks ass at Denver altitude
and above.  We were probably at 8-9k feet when he pulled past
me.

Anyway, at this URL you'll find 3 group shots I got of the cars
from this drive.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=63520&a=1289523
Luckily you can't see my wheel covers in any of the photos.  ;)

There's a video somewhere which I want to see.

	ian

For member info, links, the list calendar, and file uploads, click the
following link:

http://www.onelist.com/community/VW-VR6