Re: selling a 99 A3

At 3:01 AM -0600 12/18/99, jeremy schroetter wrote:
>i guess so.
>but, i don't think that 20k on a 99 is that harsh.
>owned since 8/98 - 12/99
>20000/16 = 1250
>1 year - 15,000 miles.  those are even lease terms in the
>real world.

If this is the way you're calculating it, no wonder you're off.
Market price is dictated by far more factors than simply "number of
miles that a lease would carry".

I mean for new car buyers, you can buy a brand new Jetta Mk IV GLS
for $18,000 or less.

>i guess there is no disparity in comparing a 97-98-99 jetta.
>regardless of miles, they are all worth the same?
>i would think that the model year would make some difference
>in the price.  i know that i am griping, but i feel it is necessary,
>since i am going to take a loss, in my estimation.

First of all, the number of miles is probably the biggest difference
in the valuation of several cars. However, it doesn't mean that the
price you're asking is in the right ballpark. First, 97 Jetta with
the same number of miles as a 99 Jetta would probably fetch about the
same price. The 99 might fetch more because its newer, but then it's
been driven in one year what the 97 has been driven in three.

As far as "taking a loss", I mean what do you expect? You DO NOT
invest in automobiles (especially new ones) if you want an
appreciation on your purchase. A car is NOT an investment, it is by
definition a loss. Perhaps your expectations are off.

>i haven't mentioned another reason the car is undervalued..
>a large number of lease returns...
>
>i am just pointing out the fact that THIS particular car
>is very strange in the given market.  anyone have a NADA
>book to tell me the REAL value of this car?
>
>my new plan is to sell the car in the spring and hopefully
>get 16,000$ out of it.

Take a look in the classifieds for three weeks or so. See what the
average price is for 97-99 Jettas. Plot them on a graph, based on
mileage and price. You might also put the year of the car next to the
dot. You'll then be able to see where your car fits on the graph.
Based on similar mileage and similar year, you'll be able to
determine what the market is like for Jettas like yours. And I'll bet
that if you're within 10% of the average car price, you'll sell the
car within four to six weeks.

The ONLY way you'll get $16,000 in the spring is if the graph I
described above shows that cars like yours are selling for around
$15,000 to $17,000. Again, do the graph I talked about. In the next
six months used Jetta prices will *NOT* go up, they will ONLY go
down. Of course, that's all my opinion, but I'd put money on it.

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax