Re: suspension

George pretty much summed it up already.  The "dead coils" are there for a
reason: suspension travel.  When you cut them off, the springs have little
give, yet the shocks are still compressing, which results in a choppy,
bouncy ride.  The car may look good, but this creates an unsafe and unstable
handling situation in which the tires will lose contact with the road over
uneven surfaces.  Trust me, I fell into the "cutting coils to look good"
trap when I was a teenager and almost went head-on into a guardrail on
Mulholland Drive because of wheel hop under severe braking down an 85mph
straight with small bumps.   Do yourself a favor and buy a matched high
performance spring/shock set or a quality coilover kit and have a lower
center of gravity, increased handling and stability, and the good looks that
we all crave.
-Doug
'95 Jetta VR6