Re: Questions

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Stash Ensign wrote:
>Two things.
>
>1) Sometimes (1 out of 30 starts) I will start the caar and drive for
>a minute or two and notice that the red 'BRAKE' indicator is
>illuminated on the dash. I check to verify, and brake is disengaged.
>Then I notice that the orange ABS light left of the steering wheel is
>lit. If I depress the A/C and recirc buttons, the A/C doesn't
>work, and the amber lights on those buttons don't come on. What's up,
>shuld I be worried?

Wow... sounds strange.  Sometimes the BRAKE light indicates
low brake fluid.  You may want to check it out.  But with all of the
other lights flashing... you may want to go to a mechanic to make
sure the problem isn't serious.  Do you have an extended warranty?

>2) Is the ECU easy to find/deal with on this car? I want to G-chip
>it, (I have a '96, so mine should be socketed, right?), and want to
>know what is involved with the removal/install, or whatever. Is there
>anything in the way of instructions with the chip or in the archives?

Check out http://www.giacusa.com/vw_audifaq.html
The Garrett site has detailed instructions for checking out your ECU.
It is actually quite easy to do... and will only take a minute to view
your ECU box for the numbers.  It will then take an additional 15
minutes to remove the box, unscrew case, and swap Chips.
Since you have a '96, I don't exactly know if you have to worry about
the soldered chip.  You may be lucky and have a socket.  If you have
a soldered chip, you will unfortunately have to send your ECU in
to have the chip swapped for you.
I have a '98 GLX, and the G-chip... and love it!  It has made driving
sheer pleasure.

>Your help is appreciated.
>
>DJB "VWAFFE"
>96 GLX VR6