Re: Misfiring

Ben,

   If you could, please describe the sensations you'd feel when the car'd
misfire. The reason I ask is this: my car's been acting a bit strangely
of late. It's a '95 with 76K miles on it, and had previously been driving
like a dream. Few weeks ago, though, it began to buck, and hesitate. Very
rarely did it do this (not even every day), but under all driving
conditions (rain/shine, hot/warm, warmed-up/cold oil, everything). It
would occur upon shifting and then accellerating, and it would occur
while driving normally, with the throttle not changing position at all.
Additionally, when I slam the throttle in w/o the car in gear, the RPMs
surge above 5K, sounds sort of like the rev limiter. Not good, but I've
not a damned clue what's causing this. I replaced my spark plugs to Bosch
Platinum +4 a couple of days ago (figured it was a misfiring cylendar),
but the symptoms have remained. Any ideas, anybody?

-T
'95 GLX

>Hi all.
>
>	I just brought my '98 GLX in for it's
>30k service.  It was a little late, with 34k miles.
>(Did the oil myself at 30k)  The check engine
>light came on, so they ran a diagnostic test
>on it.  it found 4 misfires, two in Cylinder 5,
>two in Random/Multiple Cylinders.  I would
>assume Cylinder 5 again.  Now, I would have
>changed the spark plugs, run the test again,
>and seen what happened.  But instead, they
>replaced my Ignition Coil, to the tune of $330.
>Does this seem right to anyone?  Also, it
>wasn't covered under the warranty.  Isn't
>it a "part" of the engine, and should be covered.
>After the tune-up/service, they again ran the
>diagnostics, and, suprise, it's fine.  Did I just
>get hosed?  Has anyone else had a similar
>problem at such low mileage?  Thanks in
>advance.
>
>		Ben Piecuch

Zip-zap ... zip-zap ... it's Tom ... Tom Boyer ... cyng@lamere.net!