Re: Stereo stuff (was: Stock Speakers)

David Bergesen wrote:

> Nope. From my experience (NOT expertise, just experience), the more direct
> the path of the sound wave, the clearer the imaging. Treble IS directional,
> unlike bass. Like you said the speakers need to be pointed in the general
> direction of your head. True enough, but on the install of the JBL tweets in
> my Jetta, I mounted them on the  inside of where the side-view mirrors are.
> They were pointed in the general direction of my head (as per my philosophy
> at the time, like yours now), but they didn't pint right at me. I found I
> got a much better stereo image when I moved closer to the middle, and
> slightly forward, to be right in the path of both speakers' axes. Now, with
> the tweeters in the kickpanels, the distance between each speaker and my
> head is much closer to being equal (better balance), and they each point
> directly at me, delivering a much clearer sound DIRECTLY TO MY EARS, and not
> to a spec of dust 7" in front of my head, like the JBLs did. Also, the sound
> from the woofer is NOT drowned out (well, maybe a LITTLE), and the bass they
> deliver is still crisp and clear.

    Yeah, but unless you're spacing your tweeters the exact same distance from
your ears (which would put your right tweeter floating somewhere above your
gearshift), you're screwing the whole thing up again.

    I think, in fact, that we're lookign at two different priorities.  I'm
looking to not change the insides of the car with non-stock options.  If i can
get away with hiding the better tweeter under the dash screen, as per original
spec, then that's what i'll do.

    Let's face it.  Cars suck as far as audio planing goes.  Mostly, it's an
afterthought by the designers.  (Yeah.  Hey, we forgot a radio!  Let's slap some
speakers and a head in!).  Some thought is there, but audio quality is almost
always sacrificed for other considerations.  Like trunk space.  :)

>     Please forgive my tone, if any, that is just my regular whining self
> expressing my opinion, and I value yours just as much. Thanks.

Hey, your tone is easygoing-laaidback compared to a lot of posts lately.  :)

Sundie....