Re: [WTB: Stock Speakers ATTN Benjita

Read on after this:
>Benjita@aol.com wrote:
>> without running an amp?  My Sony MDXC-7900 is rated at 40W x 4 max.
power,
>> which is pretty weak.  TIA.

>ONe more thing.  40 watts per speaker is PLENTY.  More than that in a

No. As I stated in one other post, 40x4 is the max rated power. I'm not sure
how it all works, but his Sony, rated at 40x4 MAX only puts out 17 watts RMS
(or full-bandwidth), which is not that great at moving the speakers. My
Kenwood is rated the same at 40x4, but it puts out 22w RMS, which made a
TREMENDOUS difference. I moved up to the Kenwood from an Alpine (35x4 MAX,
16w RMS) in my Cavalier, and the clarity improved by leaps and bounds. I
transferred the Kenwood to My GLX to replace the Sony (45x4 19w RMS) that
was in there. The 3w RMS difference made a difference even with the stock
speakers, although one seemed to be blown, hence the decision to replace
them with the Kenwood P602s. An amp might be a good choice. Maybe a Kenwood
KAC-648 25x4 from Crutchfield or Circuit City ($189), combined with some 6.5
speakers from Radio Shack (OPTIMUS) + the $10 separate surface mount
tweeters they sell will cure his audio problems. Obviously not to the
competition level, but they surely would make a difference. That is my
opinion.