Re: GL to GLX conversion (Was Re: List Member Stickers)

At 10:08 AM -0700 4/19/99, Billy T. wrote:
>Okay fellas, he wants to put a VR6 into an 87 Jetta GL.  This would be a good
>swap.  It would blow the doors off a normal GLX and cost way less.  I hope
>some
>of you misunderstood and thought he wanted to do the swap into an A3 GL.  I
>would rather have an A2 GTI VR6 than my fat A3 GTI, or a 16V Rabbit over a 16V
>Rocco...  there is no comparison.

I didn't catch the fact that it was a 87 Jetta GL. In that case, you've got
to be a real VW enthusiast to do that conversion, and cost and the other
issues I brought up aren't going to be on your priority list. Never mind.

On the other hand, I couldn't see myself doing that kind of work and
dedication on such a project. I'd rather go out and buy a Porsche 356 and
restore it to mint condition. Buy one for $8,000, spend maybe $8,000 on the
project, drive it around a couple weeks, and sell it for $25,000.  Take the
money, buy another one, and repeat the process. Who knows, I could get
around to rebuilding all the 356's to mint condition with that kind of
financial return. Now all I need is the $16,000 seed money. :)

-Khan