Re: Replacement for '98 GLX BOSE head unit?

Tim Irwin wrote:

> First let me get this straight, do you actually have
> a Bose Amp hanging from your back deck? If not, then
> you don't have the Bose system at all, and your dealer
> would have to do quite a bit of wiring along with
> replacing several, if not all, of the speakers (which
> my dealer refused to do when I griped

Yes, yes, I have the BOSE amp under the shelf, the 10 speakers, etc.

> In either case, if you are running a "Premium" (non-Bose)
> head unit, that alone should tell you that nothing special
> is required to run the Bose system (assuming you have it).

Kinda, sorta.  The "Premium" head unit doesn't have much in the way
of volume modulation on the Bose amps.  That is, it goes from no
volume to maximum comfort level (for my middle-aged ears) in about
45 degrees of knob movement (3 or 4 detent "clicks").  Do you have
the same problem with your Sydney?

I've looked at all available decks which fit according to
Crutchfield, and I've looked at a Kenwood "Mask" deck KRC-807 in
person.  I really don't like the garish multicolor display approach
used by Kenwood (in this case, for me, less *is* more) and the Mask
mechanism is a little "jerky", which gives me some concern regarding
its durability.  So, actually, Tim's suggestion of the Sydney was
pretty intriguing.  It *does* have that Teutonic, no-nonsense
approach to design.

Questions:

1) Does the Sydney have the Blau VarioColour technology that allows
the changing of the display color?  Crutchfield says nothing about
it, and the Blau website is a bit ambiguous on this point.  And how
well does the "Thummer" work?

2) Where does one find the plugs/wiring to put together an adapter
to the stock wiring harness?  Does the Bose have a different plug
than the Premium unit?

3) Off-topic: what in the heck is that bracket in the middle of the
rear shelf for, anyhow?

Thanks in advance,
--
Willie Anderson