Re: Boge TurboGas - crap (longish)

Clowns because they don't seem to jive with what Bilstein itself says. One has to talk to Bilstein (at Waterfest, both the Bilstein rep and Aaron Neuman confirmed my thoughts on using the 4172's) and really figure out what's going on. Most retailers just
take a quick glance at some sheet and take a crap shot at shipping the right thing, rather than gathering facts and making a good suggestion. Example: look at the Bilstein page in the Rapid Parts catalog. They state Sports are 10% stiffer than HD, well
Bilstein says they're the same, just the shock tube is shorter. Perhaps on the older model A1/A2 Bilsteins this is/was true.

I have used Shine springs (he knows his stuff). His springs with the original Bilstein Sports (4024's) I had created a combination that I felt was a bit too stiff for the street. His rates are 300 lbs front with 200 lbs rear, all linear (which is probably
a good thing). I sold the whole mess to someone with a Corrado, who liked the setup. The Race springs you are using would be unusable here in MA, way too rough, especially in winter.

One cannot usually order a correct spring. That is why I emphasized using the strut with a taller perch because most *lowering* springs here in the States work better with that strut, regardless of what year your VR6 GTI or GLX is. If you like to have
your front end on the ground, fine. I can say from experience that Neuspeed, Eibach, and Hor lowering springs make the front of the car sit REAL low when combined with the 96 and up style struts. Low enough so that the oil pan is in definite jeopardy (a
new block is $3000). Shine springs were designed for the 19 mm dropped strut and work great in terms of ride height. They just have a high spring rate that some may not like.

You didn't read my post too well (or I wasn't clear). I also stated that on cars when using stock springs go with the lower height Bilstein to lose that ridiculous ride height (I agree 1995 VR6's looked stupid stock). You're right, the Bilstein model
numbers are correct for the intended model year. Unfortunately almost no spring manufacturers took this into account (or didn't want to bother when VW changed things in 96). That is why I would recommend the VN3-4172's for the front for ANY year VR6 A3 VW
(not Corrado) where you intend to use a lowering spring (except when you KNOW the spring is meant for the lower strut - Shine etc.). I guess this is a matter of taste also. If you really want to slam the car, use the lower strut.

My car is an early 94 GLX. So the VN3-4172 is correct for that year. Also check out the project Jetta GLX in EC, I believe they used the taller style Neuspeed Bilsteins.

Tom M. Matthews wrote:

> >>Note that when you order these from the usual clowns they send you V36-4024's or 4023's.<<
>
> These people are "clowns" because they send you the correct part (as
> given by Bilstein)?
>
> >>Also of note is that the 96-97 shocks have a 3/4" lower front spring perch. Also of note is that most lowering springs when combined with these shocks lower a Golf or Jetta too much!<<
>
> An alternative is to get springs that lower the car less (i.e. Shine or
> NS Sofsport). Also, if you use the correct part number for the year of
> your car, then you will get the same drop from the springs as
> advertised. '96+ cars come from the factory with the 19mm lower perch
> relative to the '95 cars. What you are doing is putting on lowering
> springs, then losing 19mm of that drop by using '95 spec parts. Why not
> get the correct dampers and a taller spring?
>
> >>I recommend to anyone using the non-Neuspeed Bilsteins to use the VN3-4172's on the front for ANY year Golf or Jetta III VR6 if you have lowering springs, as they are the only ones that work correctly with almost all the lowering springs sold in the
> States.<<
>
> That's a pretty sweeping recommendation, and as you may have guessed...I
> disagree ;)  Most people I know with '95's who do not race in stock
> classes prefer the later spec dampers because you get the extra drop.
> The front height on the '95 cars is "vomitous", to quote Uncle Wally :)
>
> >>If you order Neuspeed Bilstein, they did their homework. The perch heights are correct<<
>
> The non-Neuspeed Bilstein perch heights are most certainly correct *for
> the intended model year*  What model year is your car?
>

> Year              Front              Rear               Comments
>   93-95 Sport      VN3-4172           B36-1529           The one to use!
> >>

> Not necessarily...
>
> >>  96-97 Sport    V36-4024           B36-1529           Drops front too
>                                                          low (3/4")!
> >>

> You only get a drop on '93-'95 cars, not '96+
>
> >>                                                         Ditto! Same
>   96-97 HD         V36-4023           B36-1524           valving, longer
>                                                          tube
> >>

> Ditto! See above.
>
> What do I use you ask?  Konis with Neuspeed Race Springs. 350-400lb dual
> rate fronts/300lb rears. Spring drop is 50-60mm with another 19mm from
> the dampers. BTW, Koni does not have a '95 part number. *ALL* of them
> have the 19mm drop inherent to the '96+ cars.
>
> Tom M. Matthews
> tmmatthews@worldnet.att.net
> '95 GTI VR6 Go-kart Edition

begin:vcard