Re: Boge TurboGas - crap

>>Note that when you order these from the usual clowns they send you V36-4024's or 4023's.<<

These people are "clowns" because they send you the correct part (as
given by Bilstein)?

>>Also of note is that the 96-97 shocks have a 3/4" lower front spring perch. Also of note is that most lowering springs when combined with these shocks lower a Golf or Jetta too much!<<

An alternative is to get springs that lower the car less (i.e. Shine or
NS Sofsport). Also, if you use the correct part number for the year of
your car, then you will get the same drop from the springs as
advertised. '96+ cars come from the factory with the 19mm lower perch
relative to the '95 cars. What you are doing is putting on lowering
springs, then losing 19mm of that drop by using '95 spec parts. Why not
get the correct dampers and a taller spring?

>>I recommend to anyone using the non-Neuspeed Bilsteins to use the VN3-4172's on the front for ANY year Golf or Jetta III VR6 if you have lowering springs, as they are the only ones that work correctly with almost all the lowering springs sold in the
States.<<

That's a pretty sweeping recommendation, and as you may have guessed...I
disagree ;)  Most people I know with '95's who do not race in stock
classes prefer the later spec dampers because you get the extra drop.
The front height on the '95 cars is "vomitous", to quote Uncle Wally :)

>>If you order Neuspeed Bilstein, they did their homework. The perch heights are correct<<

The non-Neuspeed Bilstein perch heights are most certainly correct *for
the intended model year*  What model year is your car?

Year              Front              Rear               Comments
  93-95 Sport      VN3-4172           B36-1529           The one to use!

Not necessarily...

>>  96-97 Sport    V36-4024           B36-1529           Drops front too
                                                         low (3/4")!

You only get a drop on '93-'95 cars, not '96+

>>                                                         Ditto! Same
  96-97 HD         V36-4023           B36-1524           valving, longer
                                                         tube

Ditto! See above.

What do I use you ask?  Konis with Neuspeed Race Springs. 350-400lb dual
rate fronts/300lb rears. Spring drop is 50-60mm with another 19mm from
the dampers. BTW, Koni does not have a '95 part number. *ALL* of them
have the 19mm drop inherent to the '96+ cars.

Tom M. Matthews
tmmatthews@worldnet.att.net
'95 GTI VR6 Go-kart Edition