From: owner-jettaglx@igtc.com [mailto:owner-jettaglx@igtc.com]On Behalf Of John Hamill
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 1998 7:08 AM
To: jettaglx@igtc.com
Subject: Boge TurboGas - crap

I removed the Boge TurboGas shocks from my GLX last Sat. They were on the car 1 year before they turned into sponges, completely unable to dampen the car anymore. They didn't physically blow out, and weren't leaking oil, but pushing them down by hand resulted in almost no resistance. Your results may vary, but I don't recommend using Boge TurboGas on VR6 Volkswagens. They don't last. I replaced with Bilstein. I had Bilstein originally but the wrong models were installed (typical), then tried the Boges. Initially they worked OK, but gradually the front end started bouncing up and down on dips on the highway, and progressively got worse.

I did some homework on Bilstein before installing them again. Here's Bilsteins list of available shocks. Note that when you order these from the usual clowns they send you V36-4024's or 4023's. Most of the shops don't know the differences between any of these. The valving is the same on all. The shock tubes are shorter on the Sports. Also of note is that the 96-97 shocks have a 3/4" lower front spring perch. Also of note is that most lowering springs when combined with these shocks lower a Golf or Jetta too much! I originally had the 4024's in the front and the car rode like shit, too bouncy and the oil pan got dented! I recommend to anyone using the non-Neuspeed Bilsteins to use the VN3-4172's on the front for ANY year Golf or Jetta III VR6 if you have lowering springs, as they are the only ones that work correctly with almost all the lowering springs sold in the States. Many shops have never even heard of this part number. Tell them it's what you want, Bilstein America stocks them. If you aren't using lowering springs, but using stock springs, then I would use the 4023's as you will lower the front only a little (96 and up have the lower perch height anyway).

If you order Neuspeed Bilstein, they did their homework. The perch heights are correct, and Aaron actually does stiffen the Sport valving a bit more. They also come with a sticker so you know they're from Neuspeed.

Shocks for VOLKSWAGON - Golf III/Jetta III VR6 (from the Bilstein site)

Year Front Rear Comments
 93-95 Sport VN3-4172 B36-1529 The one to use!
 96-97 Sport V36-4024 B36-1529 Drops front too low (3/4")!
 96-97 HD V36-4023 B36-1524 Ditto! Same valving, longer tube

hope this helps anyone contemplating Boge, John