Re: Trunk alarm (WAS: RE: New Owner/Member)

I may be stating the obvious, and you can all spank me for doing so, BUT
   In the off chance that this is not widely known, here it is:
   The trunk's lock has 3 positions. One is "the button never works,"
meaning that you can push the lock/button in all you like, when the car
is armed or not, and the trunk will not open. The second one, the one
which I keep mine in, is "the button only works when the doors are
unlocked," which means that if the doors are unlocked (i.e., the alarm is
NOT armed), you can just push the lock in and the trunk will open, no big
deal. Then there's one position beyond that, which I call the, "I want
the damned trunk open NOW!" position, which basically lets you open the
trunk whether the doors are locked or unlocked or the alarm is armed or
not. You need the key to move the lock between the positions, obviously,
but each position has its own point. The first one is, "Nobody can get
into this trunk w/o the key." The second one is, "Nobody can get into
this trunk if I've locked the car up, but I don't want to deal with the
key every time I want to get out my California Car Duster." The third,
obviously, is, "NOBODY gets into my trunk w/o the key, ARMED or NOT,"
because you need the key to move the lock in this third position.
   Again, sorry if I'm wasting bandwidth, but I felt it might help.
-Tom
95 and 84 Jettas.

     /|=-    Thomas J. Boyer   --=|/
    /|=-    cyng@lamere.net   --=|/