Wimpy Clutch Question

I have a 97 Jetta GLX with 31,000 miles.  I have noticed, basically since I
bought it, that the clutch seems to be very week.  It needs alot of
massaging in order to get the car moving.  In addition, when I get in the
car, the first time I engage the clutch and then disengage it makes a slight
noise that sounds like a spring untensioning (almost like the sound of a
slinky).  Kind of strange but the car seems to run fine.  Any input would
be appreciated.

Also, does anyone else out there notice a loud banging noise when you
go over heavy bumps.  I don't just mean the obvious noise from the
bump... but it sounds like the strut is hammering against the chasis.  It
does this on all four corners.  It seems a little excessive.

Again... any input would be appreciated

Josh Marrow
SGH Consulting Structural Engineers
San Francisco, California, USA