Re: VR6 Shift Points

At 9:03 AM -0400 9/17/98, Sean E. Mulch wrote:
>Well yes and no. The power is DROPPING off after 5800rpm. That means your
>getting less power as your speed increases. I would think that it would be
>better to just below the power peaks. That way your power is INCREASING as
>your
>speed is increasing.

I understand that, but you're missing my point. What I'm saying, in the
simplest way to say it is the following:

Yes, as you state, you are losing power after 5800 RPM, but the power
dropoff between 5800 RPM and 6200 RPM may be LESS than not having enough
power had you shifted at 5800 RPM into, say fourth gear, and not have any
power at, say, 2800 RPM.

ON THE OTHER HAND, (which is the point I'm trying to make) if you shift at
6200 RPM, that is, push it another 400 RPM, when you shift into fourth,
your engine will be revving at roughly 3200 RPM, which will allow you to
get to peak RPM at 5800 *faster* than doing it the other way around.

[P.S. All the estimates (dropping from 6200 RPM -> 3200 RPM when shifting)
are *guesstimates*, but I think I still make my point.]

Has anyone timed the two techniques to see which one produces better times?

-Khan

--
Khan Klatt
1997 VW Jetta GLX, Emerald Green