bumper cover

I bought my '97 GLX used, and when I bought it, I noticed that the plastic
piece above the bumper was not smooth, but rather pebbled.  It isn't that the
paint is peeling or anything like that, the only weird thing is that the
plastic is rough instead of smooth.  I asked the dealer and he told me that it
had been replaced, that it had been cracked and so they replaced it, and that
all the replacement pieces are rough; that the paint sticks to them better.
Is this true?  It's not a big deal, I'm the only one who's ever noticed this
on my car, but I thought, what the hell, might as well see if anyone on the
list knows about this.
TIA
ROB
97 GLX
DEI keyless entry
Pioneer/JBL/Infinity/Hifonix/Phoenix Gold Sound System