Traction Control

I own a '98 GLX with about 10k miles, and I've realized that
the traction control has never worked.  In my early stages of
learning how to drive the 5-speed, I smoked the tires.  During
the rain, leaving a toll booth, I spun the tires, on gravel
driveways, I spun the tires.  Obviously, the traction control
isn't working the way I would expect it to.  Is the TC some
to control torque steer under heavy acceleration, or is something
just not working.  I'm bringing it in for it's 10k service on
Friday, so any suggestions would be very helpful.

P.S.  What's the general concensus on computer chip upgrades?
      I've heard about the P-Chip, the Neuspeed, and the Garret.
      What do people have, what are the differences between them,
      and do they really make that much of a difference over the
      stock chip?

--
Benjamin M. Piecuch
Hamilton Standard