Re: Have to tell it.

The only thing that I find more annoying than the Saturn commercials is the
fact that the likes of Saturn & Dodge offer a great deal more factory
support for amateur racing than Volkswagen does.  Dodge offers ACR Neons, &
Saturn now has a competition version of their SC2.  With the addition of
safety equipment & race tires, these cars are ready to hit the track, &
there is the potential for substantial contingency money from both Dodge &
Saturn.

Volkswagen, on the other hand, offers absolutely no support for amateur
racing.  The factory & the dealers don't know or care about our efforts.  In
fact, someone would have won a national championship in a '95 GTI VR6, but
they ended up losing the race in the tech shed.  It appeared that his ECU
had been tampered with (which is against class rules) although he had not
touched it.  He was disqualified because they were unable to get any
feedback on the issue from VWOA, & there were certainly no factory reps at
the race.  When the VWOA did finally look into the matter, it turns out that
the ECU was legal.  Many of the early cars had ECU work done on them at the
factory because of early production problems.  However, the answer was too
little, too late, & it still cost the guy a national championship.

My point in telling all this is not to say that I'm angry at VWOA, & I'm
going to sell my Golf to race a Saturn (Hell no).  My point is that while we
may be critical of the moron in the Saturn who cut off Adam, I don't think
we should be critical of Saturn's efforts to support racing.  At least they
do support it.

Michael Keith
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB/DSP