Re: Rough idle and bad running condition that the dealer can't fix

Could be a number of things to make an engine sputter.  From timing to plugs,
to carbon buildup.  I had the same problem with a previous - non-VW -.
Remembering I changed the plugs earlier, I thought I might have gapped them
too much.

Deciding this would be a relatively inexpensive attmept at a fix, I bought
some new plugs and gapped them juuuuust right.  Down to the .001

Fixed the sputter.  Engine ran smooth.  Might work for you?
Chris