RE: Brake Upgrades

>I just did the Mintex Pads at 51k (I was sick of the brake dust), and my
>rotors were fine. Didn't even have to turn 'em. Run your finger along the
>flat surface of the rotor and feel for grooves or undualtions. If there's no
>grooves, you're fine.

Ditto (ditto), ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Redbox. Good pads. Might
squeak a little, but that's metallic pads for you.

While we're on the topic ...
   Ought one's brake pads to rub against the rotors fairly regularly?
Even at highway speeds? Mine have ever since I had the Redbox pads
installed. Good? Bad? Par for the course? They work fine, have worked
fine for 8k miles, including a 480mi trip from Maine to Deleware and the
trip back. I noticed that after a brief jaunt of maybe 50 miles
round-trip at highway speeds water steamed off of them. I went from point
A to point B and back, then hosed the car off upon returning (it needed
it) ... and TSSSSSS! Major steam from all four wheels when I accidentally
splashed water on them. Needless to say, I immediately AVOIDED them with
the cool water so as to avoid temperature-change cracking and whatnot.
But is that normal? It can't be ...
-Tom
'95 GLX, '84 GLi.

     /|=-    Thomas J. Boyer   --=|/