Trade in value of GLX

I am moving on to an A4 1.8T or Passat 1.8T soon. Took my 94 GLX in to several
dealers in the Boston area. Trade in value was probably worse than if it were a GL.
Both said the GLX is hard to move due to its higher cost and they would rather take
in a 2.0 because they can move it easier. My car is in exceptional condition but it
does have 67k miles. I put an ad in the paper, I'm not in a hurry to let a dealer
burn me.

Moral of the story: a high end VW is worth a lot less than a low end Audi. If you
want all the gadgets on a VW you are still saddled with the VW "economy" nameplate
when it comes time to move the car on, so the money you spend on the VR6 etc. is
basically down the toilet as soon as the car leaves the lot. The dealer told me
that as soon as a $21k GLX leaves the lot it is worth about $16k tops, whereas the
lesser models (GL, GT etc) keep a lot more value percentage wise. I think my
current GLX is the last time I buy a "high end" VW. Perhaps the newer models (A4's)
will change this perception a bit since they are so much nicer.

The Passat 1.8T (the "low end" version) is the way to go I think, the 5 speed
drives as well as the GLX, great power and the car feels quite nimble for its size.
I also test drove an Audi 1.8T (non-Q), it is also an extremely nice car, the
interior is way nicer than the Passat. After getting out of the Audi, the VW looked
downright cheap. It's a matter of whether that's worth the extra BIG dent in the
wallet. The A4 also felt as tight as my Jetta that's equipped with Bilstein Sports.
I don't think the A4 needs much in the way of suspension tweaking. The Passat
rolled a bit more.

I would appreciate anyone else's trade in stories/comments on a GLX.

begin:vcard
n:Hamill;John
tel;cell:508-561-5744
tel;work:617-621-8080 x105