Alarm Probs

Someone mentioned not having the alarm "arm" until 30 seconds or so
after a
bad stereo head-unit install.

Well, I've go similar problems.  Stock stereo, but the alarm will either
not
beep (although the radio red led and driver-door LED are blinking), or
will
beep only 30-60 sec after locking doors.

Other probs:

1)  the cucaracha warning alarm won't work if the key is simply inserted
into
the ignition switch without pushing in on the key when the door is open.

2)  Interior light stays on in the "door-triggered" (middle) position
with
all doors closed and car running.

3)  Alarm has gone off twice (AFAIK, maybe more) for no apparent reason.

When I unlock car and switch on ignition, I can still hear a *VERY*
faint and
muted beep-beep-beep at approximately the same frequency/interval as the
horn
alarm coming from under the dash.

Suspected:  The rubber boots that cover the door pin switches have been
missing for months, exposing the plastic (unsealed) door pin switch.
Could
this be the cause?   VW service rep says that shouldn't trigger the
alarm.

Also, I'm G-chipped (v.10), could this cause anything?  Will they
"reset" or
clear Garrett's chip unknowingly w/ the VAG1551 while trying to fix my
prob?
They said that they cannot diagnose alarm probs w/ the VAG tool, but
that if
one "resets" the alarm by unplugging the battery, that they need to
rewrite
the info into the ECM.  I don't want this to happen, but I'm not sure
that
they'll need to.

Ted King
97 GLX