Date: 20-Jul-1998 09:40:15
From:  <<...>>
Subject: [gti-vr6] Re: AWE Short shift kit

Hello Jim,

<<From: Jim Chu < <<...>> >
Subject: [gti-vr6] AWE Short shift kit

Todd,

I heard a review of your shifter box from Aaron Neumann, stating that the
box is made from mostly Corrado parts.  Can you divulge your secret
ingridents to your kit and the major difference between your box and
Neuspeeds?>>

Now this is a kicker!  On any given box, Neuspeed's will actually have a
*higher* Corrado part content than one of mine!  Not that it really makes a
difference.  I start out with used boxes.  The Corrado (let's call it an
early
box) and all other 02A boxes (let's call them late boxes) differ in many
respects.  Notice that I and Neuspeed give different specs depending on the
application.  There is a 10% shorter throw on the A3/Passat applications vs
the Corrado because the early boxes have a different geometry and shift
lever
length that results in shorter throws from the start.  One of the basic
components of my shift kit and Neuspeed's is the use of a Corrado shift
lever.
We also both raise the pivot point of the lever about 1".  The raised pivot
point requires modification of the lever groove for the reverse lockout
(which
I sub to a machine shop) and the plastic lever collar.  I exclusively use
new
A3 lever collars (which I cut, reorient, and fasten to the lever by drilling
and inserting roll pins), while Neuspeed uses Corrado collars.  However,
since
the Corrado collar is shorter, Neuspeed presses a plastic sleeve on the
lever
to compensate.  Less labor involved, but more specific parts sourcing
required
on their part.  I simply order everything from my local dealer (and usually
get it all by the next day!  We're talking 100-120 different
bushings/cap/clips/shafts per order, and the damn warehouse has it in stock!
I suppose someone there has noticed the increased demand for these parts,
and
orders appropriately from Germany.).
I use a porta-band saw to chop the main steel shift bracket, and then use my
plasma cutter to complete the horizontal cut.  I then weld a piece of flat
bar
stock as a backing piece for the raised pivot.  The drill press is the only
other tool used.  I made different jigs for the Corrado and A3/Passat boxes,
since the shift brackets are different and require specific mods.
The Corrado boxes came with inferior plastic bushings, which I update to the
late model type.  All boxes get all new plastic parts in the reman process.
I suppose Aaron was bashing my kit *because* of the Corrado parts.  Care to
elaborate?

Todd
Air & Water
VW Tuning