Re: Chips

In a message dated 11/11/98 4:11:55 PM Central Standard Time,
kevin.ng@nationscredit.com writes:

> Yeah but the P-flo sounds so schweeet....the grunt of the mighty VR6 just
>  comes alive..

That's all well and good, but (here we go again) if you are drawing hot air
from the engine bay, you are doing nothing but drawing hot air. Fact: cold
air, while the same VOLUME, provides more DENSITY than hot air. This is an
irrefutable fact, taught to every student pilot from day one. For instance,
watch aircraft take off in winter; they have a much shorter takeoff run than
in summer, due to the higher density of the cold air flowing past the wings
and through the engines. In summer, the air is warm/hot, therefore takeoff
runs are longer. Same applies to altitude: all other factors being equal
(load/fuel-load/weather, say 80 F and sunny) aircraft departing Denver will
experience a longer takeoff roll than the same type aircraft departing
Chicago, due to lessened air DENSITY at elevation. HIGHER DENSITY=INCREASED
LIFT. The same applies to engine-air/fuel charges, if this weren't the case,
the entire theory behind supercharging/turbocharging-intercooling would be
fallacy. HIGHER DENSITY=INCREASED POWER.

I trust someone more schooled in thermodynamics will correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave
98 GLX
TRed
aching to go flying again edition