I drove the new Jetta IV today

Our Salesmanager picked up the new Jetta IV this morning.. When it arrived
at the dealership this afternoon it was the talk of the day. Of course we
got to go for a spin.
First impressions. This is like a poor mans Passat. Sticker 16,400 for the
GL.  I was told that the first 20% will all be Jetta GL,TDI, followed by
GLS (all the power goodies) and finally the GLX sometime next year. The GLX
will still use the VR6. There is no talk of a 1.8t.

Lets see where do I start.

Dual exhaust tips (must be a TDI rear muffler)
Dash is like a smaller version of the Passat. The center console components
are the same just stacked in a different order.

Cup holder on top, large open storage tray, radio, heater controls.
Center louvers have shutters to close off.
Rear trunk release in left door panel down by the pocket. Also has a key lock.
Trunk has hideaway storage like the Passat for a CD changer.
Lifting up the back seat I found that it was carpet covered.
Fit and finish seems better.

Engine compartment.

After opening the hood it had the same engine (appearance) as the NB.
The same piece of crap fuse box on top of the battery just like the NB
I believe the transmission is either the 02M  or 02A.
The car is really zippy to drive with the 2.0l engine. I can't wait until
the VR6 is here and the "Chippers" do their magic.

There is more room to work on this car than the A3 GLX or the NB.

Front suspension looks like the same as the NB.

I looks like this is what VW is going to produce until someone comes up
with a better idea.
Cross platforming.

I took several pictures I just have to get them developed.

I think this car is now using the CanBuss wiring. I will get my new shop
manuals next week and when I get all the specs I will past them on.

Don