RE: morning idles...

Chuck:

Mine makes the whining noise, too. It's been doing it since the car was
new. Almost sounds like a power steering pump that's low on fluid (but
its not low.) It goes away after I've driven a block or two. The temp
gauge doesn't have to be straight up for it to stop. Also, when I start
the car in my garage in the morning (after opening the door, of course),
the exhaust smells REALLY STRONG; stong enough to make your eyes water!
I don't know if this is normal or not.

B. Wanamaker
98 GLX