Re: morning idles...

I can't confirm this (I'm in Austin, Texas. it doesn't get that cold), but I
believe it's the power steering pump (or the air pump).  One way to possibly
confirm this is while sitting still on a cold morning with the motor whining
put slight pressure on the steering wheel, before the front wheels begin to
turn (right or left), you should hear the whine change pitch as the pressure
sensor in the power steering begins to ask (metaphorically) for help from
the pump.  Many of the old Mustang 5.0s with serpentine belts made this
noise even when hot, it was always the power steering pump on them.

Joe