morning idles...

Hi gang,

What are your feelings about letting the engine idle in the morning
to help warm-up?
I remember hearing that it is bad to let the engine idle for a long
period of time, but I don't know if that applies to our VR6's.
I do let the engine idle for about 3 minutes or so in the morning, but
I'm starting to notice a real weird whining noise coming from the
engine since its been getting colder outside.  The whining noise
only lasts until the temp needle is almost pointed straight up.

Can this be eliminated with synthetic oils?  I'm just wondering if
the whining noise is the friction of metal parts because the oil hasn't
properly lubricated all parts near the top.

-Chuck...