Re: chaintensioner

For future reference, a chain tensioner keep tension on the timing
chain.  (Duh.)  The reason being, when you're at idle, there's actually
a significant amount of slack in your timing chain.  Why?  Because when
you're redlining it, there ain't none.  If you think about the g forces
being applied to a timing chain (i dunno if any of you have ever held
one, but they're relatively heavy), it needs this "slack" when revving
high, so that it's not going through super tight bends at high speed.

The chain tensioner pushes against the chain, and is particularly useful
at low RPM, else your chain would fall off the sprockets.

Anyone feel free to correct me if i have this wrong.

To the point:  typically, chain tensioners have a "wear zone" made up of
a relatively soft material that wears out after time.  Or, they have
wheels on them.  Either of these things could be bad, if excessively
worn.

My only question is: How to you know it's the tensioner?  It could be
ANYTHING in your engine...

SUndie...