Re: More on Synthetic Oil

> My 98 GLX is due for it's 10K check-up. I called the dealer to tell them
> I'd like to start using synthetic oil and said I would supply my own
> synthetic for the oil change. When I asked the service adviser if he had
> any recommendations concerning brand or viscocity, he said VW does not
> recommend synthetic oil of any type. He also warned me about possible
> gasket leaks and the possible voiding of my warranty at some later date
> if engine problems are determined to be caused by the synthetic. I don't
> think he actually refused to put it in for me, but he was, in general,
> pretty negative about it. Has anyone else gotten this kind of reaction
> from their dealer and, if so, did you go ahead and use synthetic anyway?

I do my own oil changes, so I don't know how my dealer feels about it. The
thing about gasket leaks is, as far as I know, only an issue on old cars.
I won't go into the reasons here, but since your car is new, you shouldn't
have any problems with leaky gaskets.

See this url for more info:

http://www-pal.usc.edu/~jan/vw/FAQs/faq.vw.perf.txt

Peter Loron                                                  peterl@cnw.com
Before the invention of eruptions, lava had to be carried down the mountain
by hand and thrown on the sleeping villagers. This took a lot of time.