More on Synthetic Oil

My 98 GLX is due for it's 10K check-up. I called the dealer to tell them
I'd like to start using synthetic oil and said I would supply my own
synthetic for the oil change. When I asked the service adviser if he had
any recommendations concerning brand or viscocity, he said VW does not
recommend synthetic oil of any type. He also warned me about possible
gasket leaks and the possible voiding of my warranty at some later date
if engine problems are determined to be caused by the synthetic. I don't
think he actually refused to put it in for me, but he was, in general,
pretty negative about it. Has anyone else gotten this kind of reaction
from their dealer and, if so, did you go ahead and use synthetic anyway?

Brian Wanamaker
98 GLX