Re: ECU/VAG stuff...

I am under the assumption that the dealer will be able to pull your
top speed also if they want to. How do I know?
Well, one guy I know got the VAG software for his laptop. Yup... it's the
same software your dealer use to run tests and stuff. Anyway, he got
made a screen capture of the data/graph about his daily commute to work.
The software will show the throttle position in percent (80% = full throttle),
engine speed in rpm (shaded under the plots/lines), the Time in minutes
(3.06 minutes,..etc). He said that he would have loved to see the speed
(in MPH), but didn't capture it. So, I guess your tech can see how fast
you've gone! IMO, your dealer is just trying to push you around... it's no
big deal that you redline your engine... why do you think they put one there?
Now, if you over-rev (almost impossible with limiters)... that's another
story. You can buy the VAG software if you like... for about $250! BTW,
his data was from that of an Audi A4,... so, YMMY.

Cris
A4 1.8TQ

> >car is still completely stock but I have driven my car against
> >other vehicles to see what my car is capable of.  My last
> >visit to the dealer (10k service) caught me by surprise when
> >my dealer told me I red-lined my car and that it would have
> >voided my warranty if I had engine problems at the time due
> >to engine abuse.  I only red-lined it once by accident when
> >accelerating but they caught it on the VAG (I guess that is
> >the tool you use to read the ECU - right?).
> >I was thinking to myself "There goes big-brother again,
> >watching my every move".
*snip*