Silly Suspension Question...

VW guru's,

I currently have the stock suspension in my car.  One thing that annoys
me is the combination of a mushy & sensitive ride.

Mushy - When I hit wide concave and convex dips in the road.
    Also the body rolls quite a bit when cornering.

Sensitive - When I go over rail-road tracks.  When the road isn't
    completely smooth and there might be lots of ripples in the road.
    The car tends to feel every blemish in the road and amplifies the
    noise inside the cabin.  It's almost as if I have pumped my tires
    to some ungodly high PSI level, but my tires are fine.

I know most of you have replaced the suspension in your vehicles.  I'm
just curious if any of you have found a suspension set-up which
improves the noise level in the car.  Maybe a new set of tires would
help quite some of the bumps and holes in the road?

I know I can easily improve the handling, I just want to know if there
is a way to improve the sensitivity?

Any ideas?

-Chuck...