Power windows suck!

<HTML>
Hey everyone,

<P>Bob Johnson wrote in a couple days ago about his right rear window not
working.&nbsp; Well, I was getting ready to take my car in to get the tires
rotated and oil changed this past Friday when the passenger side front
window decided to quit working.&nbsp; Stopped about 3/4 of the way up.&nbsp;
Needless to say I was quite pissed since I just had the right rear fixed
about a month ago.&nbsp; I have a 95 GLX by the way, 55k approx.

<P>This time I watched my mechanic take apart the door and show me the
problem.&nbsp; The motor that drives the window has a metal worm type gear.&nbsp;
Looks kind of like a cork screw.&nbsp; Anyway, that drives a plastic gear.&nbsp;
Well, the plastic gear has warped and needs to be replaced.&nbsp; With
my rear window the two gears had just become misaligned.&nbsp; Once they
were put in synch again my right rear window worked fine and still is.&nbsp;
Bob, I hope that is the problem with your window and that the gear has
not warped.

<P>The problem with the gear needing to be replaced is that VW in their
infinite wisdom does not sell this little plastic gear separately.&nbsp;
It is sold with the motor at a bargain price of $300 (yeah right!).&nbsp;
I am currently combing the junk yards looking for a used part.

<P>I also made a call to VWOA because I felt that it this is totally ridiculous.&nbsp;
The reason I bought a NEW car is so that I WOULDN'T have to deal with crap
like this just two and half years after I bought it.&nbsp; Of course, they
said they would look into it but said not to expect any type of compensation
since my warranty has expired (2yr/24k).&nbsp; Plus, in order for VW to
SERIOUSLY consider doing anything,&nbsp; I would have to take it to the
dealer, have them charge me to look at it, just to get them to diagnose
what I already know.&nbsp; I'm wondering now whether or not the rest of
my windows are going to crap the bed sometime soon.&nbsp; Does VW think
I can afford to throw $300 into my car every month?

<P>Has anyone had any similar problems with their power windows or have
any advice to offer concerning this?

<P>Chris Janus
<BR>95 GLX (no mods)</HTML>