Traction Control, ECU's

Hey,

     My 1994 Jetta GLX supposedly came standard with low-speed traction
control.  However, I have skidded out several times coming from a dead stop
when the road has been slightly wet (although I do have a heavy foot).  Does
anyone know how to check to see if the traction control is working?

     Also, I had a rather tough time getting the ECU out of my car.  Someone
suggested that I got to http://members.home.com/rgould/stuff/vw/chip.html.
Although it helped a little bit, the diagram was slightly different than mine.
I had to bend my sheetmetal and a screw to get the damn thing out.  Then, I
couldn't figure out how to take the thing apart to get to the chip.
     Does anyone with a 1994 German-made GLX have any suggestions?  Has anyone
with such a car changed the chip?

- - Eric Wang
1994 Black Vento VR6